Jake & Will: CONTEST WARRIORS

Two filmmakers chasing the dream of producing their first feature film...
...and financing it solely through winning video contests.


OK, that's not entirely true. Sometimes I put a lot of effort into a contest and I get angry when it doesn't work out, especially when I disagree with the winner selection, but that anger almost always subsides as quickly as it came. Here's the mental process I go through each and every time we lose:


First of all, I step back and realize that I don't have control over the choice the judges made. I could bitch and moan all day, cry and wet myself in the ultimate man-tantrum, and it would change nothing. In the end the judges had a set of parameters they were looking for and no matter how terrible I think the winner is, my video simply didn't meet those parameters.

Second of all, and most importantly, I don't make these videos JUST to win money. I make these videos to become a better producer, director, editor, color corrector, special effects guy, actor... the list goes on and on and on and on. I find genuine satisfaction simply by COMPLETING the projects I undertake.

We've had a losing streak now for the past 5 or 6 contests and I thought it was interesting that I haven't been demoralized. I still get excited at the prospect of winning one big contest that changes everything. Ideally I'll get to a point where I can apply this philosophy to my life in general... but I know that the longer I persist, the more there will be a payoff waiting.

-Will

2 comments:

Michaela Dehning said...

You know... I haven't worked on the past 5 or 6 contests. Connection? ;)

Will said...

Haha! Good point...

Post a Comment