Jake & Will: CONTEST WARRIORS

Two filmmakers chasing the dream of producing their first feature film...
...and financing it solely through winning video contests.


I met this woman in Samy's camera, which is the best place to meet people interested in film, and we got to talking. I gave her my business card and she told me about her clothing company Aviator Nation. They make comfortable clothing for the causal dude and dudette. I'm now editing a promo piece for them.

I met another woman while waiting for my car to be fixed. At first I didn't want to talk to anyone, burying my nose deep in a US weekly and avoiding direct eye contact, but when she made an offhand comment about her car I opened up. It turns out she was an interior decorator with a bunch of friends looking for a videographer. I gave her my card and she gave me some business.

The point of the story is always be selling yourself. If you make shoes, wear them, and talk about them in every conversation you have. You don't have to be obnoxious about it, but you do have to be passionate about it. Be ready with a card or your information and get theirs as well. As soon as you get to a computer e-mail them, and tell them about how wonderful it was to meet them and where you both were while having this conversation. Now they are an official contact, and every time you are in need of business send them an e-mail.

0 comments:

Post a Comment