Jake & Will: CONTEST WARRIORS

Two filmmakers chasing the dream of producing their first feature film...
...and financing it solely through winning video contests.


3/19/2009

Cops

I drove over to Santa Monica this morning to help Alison, my sister, with a project she was working on. She told me she wanted me to direct a short piece from the play Key Exchange. Five of us met up at a small park in the Santa Monica area and proceeded to set up the equipment, go over lines, and plan out the entire shoot. The light was perfect, the blaring mower next door was turning off in a couple minutes, and everyone was ready to go. Until...

A cop came out of nowhere and with his imposing boots, aviator sunglasses and 35mm pistol proceeded to ask, "I'm going to need to see your permit." Without a moments hesitation I checked my pockets and pulled out my middle finger, "Here's MY permit, bitch," is what I should have said. I actually pulled out a one dollar bill and said, "Maybe my friend George Washington can change your mind," then I made a grab for his gun.

No, I just said we don't have one and he told us to leave. It turns out you need a permit to shoot in a public park and the moment you set down a tripod it's like theirs a donut shortage, cops don't like it.

We packed up and plan to shoot next Friday. With a permit this time.

1 comments:

Donovan Keith said...

Shooting in the LA area is a little crazy that way. Folks are just hyper-sensitive to film crews.

Post a Comment