Jake & Will: CONTEST WARRIORS

Two filmmakers chasing the dream of producing their first feature film...
...and financing it solely through winning video contests.


I dream in narrative...really. When I go to sleep at night I have elaborate movies playing in my head, some involve ninja revenge, others, the end of the world. I consume media like it was going out of style, everything from underground zine comics to summer blockbusters. I also talk to people about their life experiences, their loves and losses.

Then Will and I sit down, put our thinking caps on, and pick a contest to talk about. The contests rules funnel our thinking in a certain direction. Then we start yelling different ideas at each other until the other one likes it.

Once we decide on an idea we flush it out with a script and storyboards. Sometimes we don't agree and have to convince the other that the image in our minds is so awesome that it's beyond description, and in that case we have to write a full script ourselves and give it to the other person for awesome approval.

That's how we come up with our ideas.

I'll leave you with this quote that I firmly believe in:

1 comments:

Donovan Keith said...

Brilliant. I especially like the quote - it's now posted on my wall.

Post a Comment