Jake & Will: CONTEST WARRIORS

Two filmmakers chasing the dream of producing their first feature film...
...and financing it solely through winning video contests.


The first thing I look for is whether the contest is judge based, user based, or a combination of the two. Judge based voting is the best because the they are trying to find the best video for their company. That includes looking at production value, acting, writing, or all things we're good at.

All user votes is a total scam because it doesn't really matter what the quality of the video is it just turns into a popularity contest. A combination of the two such as 25% user and 30% judge votes is also a good combination, but as long as the judge votes are at a higher percentage. Once we establish how the contest sets up their voting process we can proceed.

I also pick contests based on how fast I come up with an idea. There was a contest for the Taiwanese government that was worth a lot of money but because I had no idea how I would incorporate Taiwan into a video I just moved on. Once I start seeing images in my head I know it's the right contest.

The last thing is money, or how much the pay out is. We try to avoid anything below $5000 unless we get a really good idea or we're doing it for another reason, such as free press, great prizes, or it will get us to where we want to go.

A new video will be up tomorrow and holy crap do we have a surprise for you.

1 comments:

Donovan Keith said...

Smart.

Post a Comment